Check for Credit Conversion
You will need to be mindful of a credit conversion between your program partner and Northeastern (for example, 6 credits at the University of XX is equal to 3.3 credits at Northeastern).
Study Abroad: Spring 2018 Forward
For every course equivalency, the NU course credit amount will be determined by the credit conversion ratio for each specific international institution. You should maintain a full time status at the host institution to ensure that you receive full time credit at Northeastern. Courses that are deemed “no transfer” will not factor into this full time credit load. You should refer to the specific program and term for information on required credit loads and conversions.
If you take an overload of credits your billing will be updated accordingly. All courses that appear on your study abroad transcript must be transferred back to Northeastern.
Sample Credit Conversions
- The credit conversion ratio is 1:0.534 (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid: Northeastern)
- You need to take 30 ECTS credits per semester at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid to be full time
- Courses are typically 3 or 6 ECTS credits at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- A 3 ECTS credit course will come in as 1.6 NU credits, and a 6 ECTS credit course will come in as 3.2 NU credits
- If takes 30 ECTS credits abroad, they will receive 16 NU credits
- The credit conversion ratio is 1:0.2667 (University of Edinburgh: Northeastern)
- You need to take 60 credits per semester at University of Edinburgh to be full time
- Courses are typically 10 or 20 credits at University of Edinburgh
- A 10 credit University of Edinburgh course will come is as 2.667 NU credits, and a 20 credit University of Edinburgh course will come in as 5.334 NU credits
- If a student takes 60 University of Edinburgh credits abroad, they will receive 16 NU credits