Grades & Transcripts
More about grade conversions from your global experience and how to acquire your transcripts from abroad.
If evaluated and approved, global experience courses will transfer back to Northeastern with a letter grade and will be factored into your GPA.
If you would like to take a course pass/fail, you must adhere to the program partner’s course policies and make any pass/fail requests through the host institution. Any course taken for a pass/fail grade abroad and represented as such on an official partner institution transcript will transfer into Northeastern as a pass (S) or fail (U) grade. If you take a course pass/fail, it will not fulfill major, minor, concentration, or NUPath requirements.
If you would like to withdraw from a course while abroad, you must adhere to the program partner’s course policies and make any withdrawal requests through the host institution.
Each grade received from the host institution will be converted into a Northeastern letter grade.
Gain a better idea of what your grade will look like overseas and what the Northeastern equivalent would be for each program by using the Grade Conversions Database.
NU does not permit you to take an incomplete while abroad. All coursework must be completed before your departure unless specifically required by the program or professor abroad.
Once you complete your term abroad, a copy of the host institution transcript will be sent directly to the Global Experience Office (GEO) to be processed and posted to your Northeastern records. Transcripts from host institutions are typically received by GEO 1-3 months after the completion of the term and are sent at the discretion of the host institution. Once the host institution transcript is received by GEO, processing and posting on your records will take between 2-4 weeks to be completed. Transcripts are kept on file permanently with GEO. Once processed you will be able to view your grades via myNEU.
To avoid any delays in receiving study abroad credit, verify the following:
- Every course that appears on your transcript from a host institution must be evaluated in the Course Equivalency Database prior to studying abroad.
- Every course that appears on your transcript from a host institution must be finalized in the Study Abroad Course Selections once abroad.
- All required fees have been paid to the host institution.
GEO cannot accept the following information regarding transcripts:
- Supplemental documentation listing courses not printed on the official transcript
- Supplemental documentation for grade changes not printed on the official transcript
- Transcripts directly from students, unless sent through a secure digital platform such as eQuals or Parchment.