Incoming Exchange Students
- Exchange programs are approved for undergraduate students only.
- Only students from existing exchange partners are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be full-time students at their home university.
- If you are not currently studying at a university where English is the official, primary language of instruction, you must submit one of the following as part of your application:
- Cambridge English: First/Advanced
- TOEFL IBT: 92 (Reading subscore 22, Listening subscore 22, Speaking subscore 24, Writing subscore 22)
- IELTS: 6.5 (no band below a 6.0)
- CEFR: B2
- PTE: 62 (no band below a 62)
- IB: 5
Other departmental requirements may apply. Criminal Justice, Engineering, and Business applications will be evaluated by their respective college in addition to the Global Experience Office (GEO).
Your university will have to nominate you before you will be able to apply to the program. Students applying to study at Northeastern University must work with their institution’s mobility office before beginning their application process. You can obtain an application through the study abroad coordinator at your university.
Requirements for Application:
- Prior to Application: Confirm nomination from home student office
- Global Experience International Exchange Student Online Application: (a link to the online application portal will be sent to nominated students)
- English-language test results, such as TOEFL or IELTS. Proof of proficiency in English is required from all students unless coming from an institution where English is the language of instruction.
- Official academic transcripts
- Photocopy of passport ID page
For more information about application materials please e-mail: [email protected].
- Fall: early September to mid-December
- Spring: early January to late April
Program Application Deadlines
- Fall Intake: May 1
- Spring Intake: October 1
Tuition and fees are waived for incoming exchange students. Below are the estimated costs per semester:
- Housing: Approximately $4,950 – $6,825 per semester, depending on your accommodation. Please review current Northeastern housing rates.
- Dining: Approximately $1,430 – $3,395 per semester, depending on your plan. Please review current dining plan rates.
- Health insurance: Students are not required to purchase Northeastern health insurance although it is strongly encouraged. Please review your current health insurance policy to ensure that it meets the requirements of the J-1 visa and you will be able to seek medical help while abroad.
- Personal Spending: This amount varies depending on the budget of each student. It is estimated that students spend about $100-150 per week on entertainment, travel, and other personal expenses.