Visa & Travel Info

While many documents are required by federal regulations for you to enter into and study in the U.S., your passport, DS-2019, and nonimmigrant visa are the three most critical. You must make sure that these documents are accurate and remain valid throughout your stay in the United States.


You must have a valid passport to apply for an DS-2019 and a visa. Your passport should be valid for a minimum of 6 months prior to the date that you enter the United States. If your name shown on your passport has changed for any reason, carry official name-change documentation with your passport. (For example, bring an original marriage certificate documenting a name change.)

Certificate of Eligibility: The DS-2019

The DS-2019 indicates that an international applicant has been accepted as a full-time, non-degree exchange student, with the required proficiency in the English language (documented by TOEFL test scores or their equivalent), with sufficient financial support (documented in the DCF form) to study at a U.S. academic institution.

Once you have been accepted to study at Northeastern University, OGS initiates the process of issuing your DS-2019. You must have this form before you can obtain your J-1 exchange visitor visa to attend a school in the U.S. It is also required in order to maintain lawful student status when transferring or changing schools within the U.S.

The Visa Application Process

For information on obtaining a nonimmigrant student visa, please visit the Office of Global Services.

Have a question for us?